Monday 28 June 2010

heath bedstraw and stitchwort


the meadows by the Inny are covered, unusually, in white flowers mainly clumps of heath bedstraw and lesser stitchwort, a very delicate version of the larger greater stitchwort. The meadow had a lovely smell of honey and lemons, although my main reference book states that heath bedstraw has a sickly smell. Not true! It is amazing how these meadows change year on year and how different species flourish or struggle. A few years ago the same meadow at this time was a blaze of yellow due to bird's foot trefoil, and last year it was full of ragged robin. It is gradually becoming covered in bramble and reeds.
. !

2 comments:

  1. I can't enlarge them anymore:( My computer or site???

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably the picture I uploaded. I'll try another version in due course.

    ReplyDelete